It's rare for me that I "defriend" people on Facebook or get overly upset at what some people do as far as joining groups or liking groups on the social networking site.
For the most part, I recognize that some people are liberal, some moderate and some conservative. In fact, I took a Facebook poll once upon a time that indicated that my friends were almost evenly divided (slightly more liberal) between liberal and conservative. That mostly even split was not necessarily a huge surprise to me.
I recognize that my conservative brothers and sisters typically do not like President Obama (and some hate him ... some hated and disliked him when he was still running against Hillary Clinton in the primary). That's fine. Some people oppose the health care legislation. OK. That is part of politics. Such disagreement is reasonable ... even all the scare-tactic garbage about death panels and pulling the plug on grandma are part of political discourse these days (I reserve the right to change my mind later).
But, some things are disgusting and go well beyond civil politics (and even uncivil politics). One day, as I was looking through one of these feeds that Facebook runs highlighting activities of my friends, I noticed that a number of them had joined a group: "VOTE FOR OBAMA: BECAUSE SOCIALISM WORKED SO WELL IN USSR."
Obviously, I see that as stupid, but whatever.
Here is what made my jaw drop (a statement posted on the group's page ... perhaps symbolic of the group's core values:
DEAR LORD, THIS YEAR YOU TOOK MY FAVORITE ACTOR, PATRICK SWAYZIE. YOU TOOK MY FAVORITE ACTRESS, FARAH FAWCETT. YOU TOOK MY FAVORITE SINGER, MICHAEL JACKSON. I JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW, MY FAVORITE PRESIDENT IS BARACK OBAMA. AMEN
It's a poor attempt at humor that is disgusting and perhaps is indicative of why death threats against this president are up exponentially.
As of April 29, the group was up to 1,172, 331.
What it means reminds me of what a friend I had years ago used to say (excuse the language), "There are a lot of sick fucks in this world."
I could not agree more.
2 comments:
They were named worst person in the world on Keith Olbermann tonight.
The serious, level-headed side of me finds that "prayer" troubling, but my odd/quirky sense of humor finds it pretty funny in that "House, MD" (my favorite show) hilarious sarcasm kind of way. Sigh. I'm goin' to hell. I know it. :D
Post a Comment