Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Sen. Lindsey Graham Wisely Distances Himself From Glenn Beck’s Freak Show

Face it, Glenn Beck has been a true freak show for quite some time, but he does have his following. It seems some Republicans are finally working to distance themselves and the GOP from the loud lunacy of men like Beck, who has become (in the eyes of many) the new face of the conservative wing of the political spectrum. The problem is that Beck is so far to the right of the mainstream that he needs a chartered airline flight to get to the middle. Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), speaking on Fox News Sunday, had some less-than-kind words for Beck.

GRAHAM: No, I’m not saying he’s bad for America. You got the freedom to watch him if you choose. He did a pretty good job on ACORN. What I am saying, he doesn’t represent the Republican Party. You can listen to him if you like. I choose not to because, quite frankly, I don’t — I don’t want to go down the road of thinking our best days are behind us. We need to act decisively.

People are genuinely upset with how much money we’re spending up here. But at the end of the day, when a person says he represents conservatism and that the country’s better off with Barack Obama than John McCain, that sort of ends the debate for me as to how much more I’m going to listen. So he has a right to say what he wants to say. In my view, it’s not the kind of political analysis that I buy into.

I don’t agree with Graham a lot, politically, but I do agree with him on Beck (even though I think he could speak out even stronger against Beck, Rush Limbaugh and other extremists on the right).

Think Progress:
http://thinkprogress.org/2009/10/04/graham-beck-fox/

No comments: