Tuesday, January 4, 2011

ESPN Commentator's Reported Firing A Reminder You Don't Always Know Who You Think You Know

Ron Franklin

From deep in the files of WTF ...

Ron Franklin, for years, has been an announcer I've enjoyed listening to for football and basketball games on ESPN.

Of course, there are times you see or hear a different side of a cat, and such is the case with Franklin.

From Huffington Post:

ESPN reportedly fired announcer Ron Franklin on Tuesday after he was pulled from the Fiesta Bowl broadcast for making sexist comments to sideline reporter Jeannine Edwards.

According to John Ourand of the Sports Business Journal, an ESPN spokesman said "based on what occurred last Friday, we have ended our relationship with him."

Before Friday's Chick Fil-A Bowl, Franklin said to Edwards, "Listen to me sweet baby, let me tell you something."

After Edwards told him not to address her like that, Franklin responded by saying, "OK, then listen to me a-hole."

Franklin apologized for his remarks on Monday and said he deserved to be pulled from the Fiesta Bowl.

According to SportsByBrooks, Franklin was fired after he didn't apologize to Edwards personally.

Ron, Ron, Ron ... what are (were) you thinking big fella?

I guess it's no wonder ESPN told you to follow the trail on out of Bristol with that kind of behavior and that kind of mentality.

2 comments:

Malcolm said...

Ron seems to have issues with women. He had a similar incident a few years ago when he called Holly Rowe "sweetheart" during a game.

By the way, I hope you can check out my "Heroes and Villains of 2010" list at Diversity Ink.

Sandy Gholston said...

Malcolm,

He does appear to have some issues with some women. I guess I never knew how deep these issues were until now.

I will check out the list. Keep up that good work.