
Common
The whole Fox News-generated overblown controversy regarding the rapper and poet Common is one that I'd like to say I find interesting and surprising, BUT ... I don't.
I'd like to say say that the Fox News hysteria over Common's performance at the White House was strictly related to the network's misguided belief that he is some sort of a gangsta rapper ... or something along those lines.
Frankly, I am not going to go into a long explanation of how ignorant this whole issue is (which is pretty much a given coming from Fox News).
But, I will offer the obvious ... this clearly is racially tinged (even if somewhat coded). Once again, Fox News is taking an opportunity to try and portray President Obama as some kind of black nationalist or racist (or someone who sympathizes with black nationalism or anti-white racism). To normal people, this is utterly ludicrous, but to call most of the people at Fox News normal is to borderline defame real normal people.
This whole issue with Common is largely based on race and trying to portray President Obama as an angry black man who is "not really one of us" to the highly conservative Fox News audience. This is the strategy of people like Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity and Sarah Palin. This is why they attack Common and excuse Ted Nugent.
Hannity, and this is no surprise coming from him, was comfortable with this attack on a black man (that is never a surprise from this man) and a woman running for President of the United States of America.
Nugent's comments were OK, to Hannity, but the Fox News bigots jumped all over Common and took every shot possible at someone who has a high level of integrity and is quite the conscientious man with very positive messages.
Coming from Fox News, this is no surprise ... in fact, it is ironically common.
4 comments:
Sandy Gholston:
Let's follow the logic. (I am doing this from memory so I don't remember all of the names)
1) Common supports a woman who as a member of the Black Liberation Army is associated with the killing of a NJ State Trooper as they escaped a bank robbery
2) The BLA teamed with "The Weather Underground" to stand against the IMPERIALISM OF AMERICA.
3) When the USA bombed various targets in Vietnam - the Weather Underground bombed (or sent in bomb threats against AMERICAN government targets
4) NOW that there is a FAVORABLE COMMANDER IN CHIEF in power - Common - who praises the BLA woman in Cuba can't see the IRONY, FRAUD AND HYPOCRISY of him GOING INTO THE OFFICE OF POWER that she and her movement STOOD AGAINST and he sang POEMS rather than "Speaking Truth To Power"?
Help me out to see what I am missing in the Neo-New Left?
Constructive,
The entire premise of your comment is shaky (at best). I think your comment is irresponsible in that you take out of context Common's position with respect to this woman and try to paint him as some crazy cop-killer supporter. By extension, you suggest that because (in your mind) Common supports this cop-killing woman that he agrees with everything that this organization she may have been involved in stands for or stood for. This helps render some of your other points mostly useless.
You, sir, are guilty of an outrageous and out-of-context smear of Common.
[quote]Common's position with respect to this woman and try to paint him as some crazy cop-killer supporter. [/quote]
Now Mr Gholshon:
Clearly you did not READ my argument.
I said NOTHING about the "Cop Killer' aspect of the argument.
I focused on WHAT THE BLA STOOD FOR!!! They were AGAINST AMERICAN IMPERIALISM.
I then asked you how Common - who is down with this BLA member could also be so silently complicit about what this Commander In Chief is doing in Libya - along with 3 African colonizers?
Mr. Feedback,
I am going to slow this down so you can try to keep up.
While you did not explicitly use the term "cop killer" your implication is obvious by your first point in your original response.
I read your argument. It would have been possible for me to deem it "shaky" and some of your points "useless" had I not read them.
Explain to me how Common is down with BLA (even though you did not write it exactly that way that was certainly the impression your implication drives toward)? I would be interested to hear/read what evidence you have to support such a seemingly baseless claim/smear.
Help me out ... where did you ask about Libya in the original comment? I must have missed that one.
It's a shame how some conservatives go out of their way to try to smear people of color by attempting to baselessly link them to a group considered to be extremist.
Post a Comment