Friday, June 10, 2011

White Rapper Kreayshawn Sparks Controversy With N-Word Issue

Natassia "Kreayshawn" Zolot

The issue of whites and white rappers using the so-called N-word has come into focus again, with a story about Natassia "Kreayshawn" Zolot, a white rap artist.

She uses the word and doesn't much apologize for her use of it - in spite of the fact that she has now found herself knee-deep (at least) in a controversy. One of the general arguments in this case, and as is typical with use of the N-word, one of the primary arguments is that if they (black people) can use it then everyone else should be able to use it.

Here is a comment she recently tweeted about the controversy:

“People are acting so funny OMG lol. I got 200k views, not 200k dollars. WTF YOU WANT FROM A NIGGA. DMX VOICE.”

That comment tells me a few things: 1. She feels passionate about this issue, 2. she doesn't care too much what other people think (at this point) and 3. she is getting a WHOLE lot of marketing value out of this controversy.

A report from News One added this little nugget to the issue:

“In Oakland, Asian people will call Mexicans that. A Mexican will call a black dude that. A white person will call an Asian that. Everyone calls each other that. I feel like that word is used in the low-income community more than anything. I can see if I was some rich crazy trick and I was just saying this because it’s hip-hop,” Kreayshawn said, “I was raised around this. Me and my sisters were all raised around this. People call me that. But personally I’m not flaunting it around.’’

Whether she is flaunting or not is an interesting discussion. One thing is for sure, this controversy is helping Kreayshawn big time.

Honestly, she has the right to use it (like anyone else), but no one has the right to everyone's approval of use of the word. Based on what I've read, she probably has built up some credentials to be able to use it more than some (based on where she is from), but it doesn't mean everyone has to like it. Some do not and will not like it.

It's a controversy and not an easy one.

3 comments:

Constructive Feedback said...

Mr Gholshon:

Are you prepared to admit that Dr Laura wuz right?

Sandy Gholston said...

Admit Dr. Laura was right? Brother, you are trippin' on something.

Puff, puff ... give.

Anonymous said...

Constructive Feedback: N-word, please.