This whole controversy started when Miss Michigan Rima Fakih was named Miss America. By now, her name alone probably tells you how a lot of conservative white people in the media are bound to react.
I found this little clip from Gretchen:
"A lot of people are going to parse this today and ask did she (Miss Oklahoma) Morgan Elizabeth Woolardlose - was she first runner-up - because she supported the Arizona immigration law, and did the Muslim-American win because of the whole PC society that we find ourselves in," said Carlson, who was Miss America in 1989.Apparently, in Carlson's world, when white women win beauty pageants it's because they're pretty, well spoken and talented. But, when women of color win ...
Check out Steve Pendlebury's article and see all of the hatred coming out from the right toward this young woman from Michigan (from the likes of Michelle Malkin and Debbie Schlussel, a pair of right-wing media extremists).
Also, on Planet Gretchen, when women of color win it's because of the "whole PC society" thing.
By the way, here is what Pendlebury has about Schlussel's hateful attack:
The harshest attack on Fakih so far has come from conservative blogger and talk show host Debbie Schlussel. She claimed that Miss USA has "many relatives" who are terrorists and that a Hezbollah supporter helped bankroll her pageant run. In contrast, Schlussel described Woolard as "classy" and said she gave a "good and somewhat educated answer" about the Arizona law.That is despicable (read the full version of what she said). It shows how disgusting a bigot like Debbie Schlussel truly is most of the time she opens her mouth or starts typing.
3 comments:
I didn't watch the pageant or read any news stories. I woke up and saw a CNN headline that said the winner of this year's pageant was the first ever Arab-American to win. Without knowing anything about the controversy surrounding Ms. Fakih's win, I wondered if her win was a PC response. That took all of 20 seconds and I went on about my day, giving it no more thought.
However, I will go on record to say that I think the question of whether or not her win was a PC response (and only that aspect of her win) is a fair question to ask. But, dragging this girl through the mud is just wrong.
To me this is totally not a legitimate question. It's almost like people have to find some reason why a white lady did not win it besides looks and talent.
The one issue that bothers me is what Sandy had in the post. Why is it a legitimate to ask if it is some kind of affirmative action deal when a person of color wins but not when a white person wins. I don't see how that is legitimate.
Post a Comment