In case you don't know, my tenure case was denied, which means I'll be dismissed by Syracuse University. I personally am not offended, as I didn't expect to receive tenure after the attacks by Bill O'Reilly last year and the work I've done speaking out on behalf of NCAA athletes (Syracuse earns tens of millions from athlete families and likely lost alumni donations after the Bill O'Reilly attacks - I stand by every word, however, since I won't allow a racist like O'Reilly to speak of lynching Michelle Obama or any other Black woman for that matter). Additionally, our business school (The Whitman School of Management) has not, to my knowledge, recommended tenure for any African American, in any department, in its entire 100 years of operating history (I can't concur with the conclusion that every Black scholar on the planet is unqualified to be here). So, while we can say all we want about elusive and idealistic concepts such as academic freedom, most scholars understand that the rules change when you are an outspoken Black man with no significant Black male power presence on your campus. My role was to support pre-existing intellectual, social and administrative paradigms, not to engage in active, progressive scholarship.
As Dr. Watkins says, shed no tears for him. He has worked hard to solidify his position and will thrive in spite of the cowardly actions of Syracuse University. Unless there is something significant that we do not know of and that hasn't been reported ... this is (if you will excuse the saying), bush league stuff. Universities should want professors who are strong and positive role models doing things to better the lives of young people. That is the essence of what Dr. Watkins has been about and I am sure will continue to be about as he moves into this next chapter of his life and professional career.
I wish Dr. Watkins, founder of http://www.yourblackworld.com/, the best of luck. Based on his track record, I know he will continue to thrive and continue to do things that have a positive impact on the lives of young people. He has beena tremendous advocate for education and self empowerment. It's a shame Syracuse does not hold with those same values as strong as does Dr. Boyce Watkins.
Dr. Boyce Watkins:
http://drboycespeaks.blogspot.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment