Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Columnist Robinson Is On The Right Track

Republicans are doing their sneakiest to paint Sen. Barack Obama, the presumptive Democratic nominee for President of the United States as an ungrateful black man who has everything yet plays the race/victim card. One of the chief abusers of this dubious strategy, most recently at least, has been Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina. This is a calculated strategy to make conservative whites, who are bitterly angered by affirmative action policies, to view Obama as the poster child for what has damaged so many of their hopes and dreams (affirmative action). Also a part of this strategy has been the ridiculous portrayal of Obama as "elitist" and "arrogant." I find it laughable to hear right-wing extremists like Newt Gingrich and Karl Rove calling anyone arrogant or elitist. Although I suppose you could argue they are authorities on topics of arrogance and elitism. I could go on and on about how Fox News commits journalistic atrocities (among so many others they commit) when they parade the likes of Rove, Ann Coulter, Oliver North and Gingrich as "objective" analysts. I don't want to digress too much, however. As columnist Eugene Robinson correctly points out, this is a dangerous strategy. It is an offensive and insulting strategy. But, it is a strategy that is the product of desperation on the part of Republicans who have to be stunned by the reality of losing to Obama at this stage of the race.

From the Detroit Free Press:
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080806/OPINION03/808060308

No comments: