I wish I could pinpoint why I was so bothered by what seemed to me to be an underhanded ploy by a few people in the city of Livonia, Mich., a suburb of Detroit, to make a land grab at neighboring Northville Township. For some reason it has been gnawing at me and I have not lived in Detroit, regularly, in more than 10 years. I did, however, attend school for a couple of years at Schoolcraft College, and so that area is familiar to me. It's a long story and I will provide a link or two rather than sum it all up again right here. In brief summary, some individuals in Livonia were trying to "acquire" a coveted piece of land in Northville Township, some people moved onto the land (sympathetic with the annexation plan and the money that was supposed to be a product of it) and those individuals voted to allow themselves and that property to be annexed. Then, after some legal haggling, the matter was put to a vote in Livonia. Fortunately, the good and decent people of Livonia smelled something foul and voted the proposal down. Good for the people of Livonia to realize that you don't steal from your neighbor (Northville Township) just because you might profit.
This is from the Detroit Free Press:
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080805/NEWS15/80806004
This is from the Detroit News:
http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080805/METRO/808050437
No comments:
Post a Comment