The ultra conservative Fox News Channel is so quick to brag about its precious ratings at every turn, but some aspects of the network's ratings are quite disturbing according to an article published by the Huffington Post which cites the New York Times.The disturbing numbers, if true, are probably not all that surprising when you think of how hostile Fox News, with its 24/7 cycle of conservative commentary masquerading as news, has been, historically, toward black people and issues of importance to black people.
I know, you're stunned by that news.
From the Huffington Post:
Fox News may be the undisputed ratings champion in cable news, but not among black viewers.
The New York Times' Brian Stelter tweeted that, according to Nielsen Media Research, Fox News has averaged just 29,000 black viewers in primetime so far this television season (9/09-7/10). That represents just 1.38% of its 2.102 million total viewer audience.
CNN and MSNBC, meanwhile, both have far more black viewers, both in absolute terms and as a proportion of their overall audiences.
MSNBC has averaged 145,000 black viewers, representing 19.3% of its 751,000 total viewer audience.
CNN has averaged 134,000 black viewers, representing 20.7% of its 648,000 total viewer audience.
Is anyone really surprised that black people appear to be rejecting the messages of Fox News? Fox News is getting its ratings, but is doing it by racially dividing this country.
These ratings for Fox News are indicative of a bigger problem for Fox News (the fact that its messages tend to be rejected by a large number of people of color).
Since Fox News is in essence the public relations firm of the Republican party, eventually this trend will spell doom for the GOP if it does not broaden its political base (beyond just whites ... and particularly conservative whites).
5 comments:
From what I can see, you are too caught up in the race issue. Yes, it's true that Fox has some nauseating people, but, are you telling me, it's not a little refreshing to hear an alternative perspective from what is normally out there? Based on what I see, with the outlets you cite, and what's listed on your blog, you've completely surrounded yourself with one viewpoint on all the issues of the day. How smart is that?
Also, Fox News is not monolithic. Geraldo is liberal. Hannity is a conservative. Stossel and Beck are libertarians. O'reilly sits in the middle. Sheppard Smith seems to lean to the left. What's wrong with that type of diversity?
As far as the race issue, that is a big part of what I do here at this blog. Would you go to ESPN and say that they're too caught up in the sports issue?
I am saying I don't find much refreshing about Fox News (particularly in their prime-time lineup from, their morning lineup and their early afternoon lineup ... basically anything but Shep Smith).
I think Fox News is absolutely monolithic, to use your term. Geraldo is is moderate to liberal, but he knows his role on Fox News (which I believe is to give the illusion of fairness once in a while). Stossel and Beck are conservatives. Nice try with the libertarian thing, but for the most part you're conservative, liberal, moderate or apathetic. Sorry if you don't agree, but that is the way I see it. O'Reilly most certainly does not sit in the middle. He is a right winger. He is not a far-right person to the extent of Beck or Limbaugh, but he is a right winger. Shep Smith is a common-sense moderate. He is one person who passes the fair and balanced test most times on Fox News.
I turned on CNN and they seem to be caught up in the news issue.
Geraldo long ago turned in his "liberal" credentials when he sold out to Fox News.
[quote]Is anyone really surprised that black people appear to be rejecting the messages of Fox News? Fox News is getting its ratings, but is doing it by racially dividing this country.[/quote]
Mr Gholston:
I am not following you on this one.
It is clear that you are placing DIVERSITY at a premium. In the case of Fox - because it doesn't attract a large segment of the Black viewing audience it is FOX NEWS that has the problem. Why do "Democrats who are Black" have to watch Fox News when "Media Matters" and "HuffPo" provide a CliffNotes version of Fox for you - regardless of how much they cherry pick?
You see, Mr Gholston when I READ this factoid I did not think about RACIAL DIVISION per Fox News.
Instead I thought of the damage that RACIAL UNITY has played among Black people. This is expressed by how many Blacks vote in unison to effect racial and community change DESPITE the fact that the "Mission Accomplished" signs all over our communities have failed to deliver the organic advancements that we were sold.
Mr Gholston shouldn't you really be asking: " With Blacks being so unified AGAINST FOX and yet so many of our permanent interested left unfulfilled WHY DO we keep listening to the news and information sources that compel us to VOTE AWAY our problems?"
The Democratic Party stands strong in our communities.
The institutions such as our schools, public safety and economic productivity suffer from benign neglect.
I guess it all comes down to what your actual interest are. Right Mr Gholston?
Post a Comment