Saturday, March 14, 2009

Maybe Meghan McCain Is Precisely What Republicans Need

Meghan McCain made an appearance on The Rachel Maddow Show on MSNBC to talk about a variety of topics … not the least of which was conservative commentator Laura Ingraham’s cheap shot against her because of her body type. McCain had been in the news recently for a variety of topics and Ingraham did not (apparently) like something McCain said and used her platform to bash McCain because she is not as supermodel tall and thin as Laura Ingraham would prefer. But, beyond the ridiculous and useless words coming out of Ingraham’s mouth trashing McCain, I had another thought about Meghan McCain. Perhaps young McCain is precisely the kind of person the Republicans need as the face of the party. Extremists like Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity paint a frightening and divisive picture of the Republican Party nowadays. Perhaps more open-minded individuals like Meghan McCain can positively impact a party that has not had a particularly open-door policy.

Here is an excerpt from Meghan McCain’s appearance on The Rachel Maddow Show:

MADDOW: You picked a fight with somebody who’s definitely going to fight back.
MCCAIN: Yeah. Well, if it was, you know, if it was too hot in the kitchen, I’d get out. I know what I’m doing and I know that I’m creating, she probably will respond, she already has, but I’m sure she’ll respond harder, but this dialogue should take place. It should. I think that you know, often times and I think it’s relevant because I am a Republican. I still consider myself a Republican and that’s why it’s relevant because I’m someone within the party.
INGRAHAM (mocking): How long before she totally abandons the Daily Beast and makes it official at the Huffington Post?
MCCAIN: And I think there’s an extreme on both parties and I hate extreme. I don’t understand. I have friends that are the most radically conservative and radically liberal people possibly ever and we all get along. We can find a middle ground.
INGRAHAM (mocking): Ok, I was really hoping that I was going to get that role in the Real World, but then I realized that, well, they don’t like plus-sized models. They only like the women who look a certain way. And on this 50th anniversary of Barbie, I really have something to say.

Extremists on the right like Ingraham, Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh make individuals who are more moderate (like Meghan McCain) come across as even more attractive.

Huffington Post:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/03/13/meghan-mccains-not-having_n_174734.html

No comments: