Friday, March 20, 2009

President Bush Made Some Mistakes, But …

I’ve offered more than my fair share of criticisms for former President George W. Bush. But, one thing I have always told people about Bush is this: I really do think he was and still is a good man. Now, I disagreed with him on a lot of his policies, but I do genuinely think he was doing a lot of things he felt was in the best interest of the country. I also strongly suspect he was talked into some things that he should have known would not (in the long run) be in the best interest of the country. Unlike former Vice President Dick Cheney, who many people view as a bit of a scoundrel, I think Bush is a good man who truly believes in the quote he issued (below):

Said Mr. Bush:
“He was not my first choice for president, but, when he won, I thought it was good for the United States of America. I want the President to succeed. I love my country a lot more than I love politics…I’m not going to spend my time criticizing him. There are plenty of critics in that arena.”

I believe Bush does mean that when he says he loves his country more than he loves politics. It’s a shame that did not rub off on people like Cheney who continue to fear-monger and encourage people to believe that President Barack Obama is somehow keeping us less safe. His words are dangerous, inappropriate and highly partisan. Unlike Cheney, I do think Bush really cares about this country more than he cares about politics. In this post-Bush Administration era, Cheney has revealed himself to be precisely the kind of bitter, angry, out of touch and partisan politician so many people suspected he was while he was in office. It’s a shame Bush did not have more of an impact on Cheney than Cheney had on Bush. The George W. Bush of 2000, one I liked, barely resembles the George W. Bush of today.

Think Progress:
http://thinkprogress.org/2009/03/18/bush-obama-succeed/

No comments: