It's no surprise Republican presidential nominee Sen. John McCain's speech scarcely got the adrenaline of any listener going ... beyond the obligatory clapping and standing ovations from the conventioneers. I did not have a chance to catch Fox News Channel's review of McCain's speech, but I imagine most of them thought it was top shelf. At least Democratic vice presidential nominee Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin delivered a speech (it was lacking in terms of policies and based on a shaky foundation of half-truths and outright misstatements relative to Democratic presidential nominee Sen. Barack Obama's record and the records of others). At least Palin brought some energy and looked like she could follow a teleprompter and even function without a teleprompter. McCain stumbled and fumbled his way through a speech that held the nation captive for apparently close to the hour. I couldn't take anymore ... I jumped out of the plane and used my parachute (I fell asleep). I tried to stay awake just to see how the Republicans on Fox News were going to attempt to spin it positively in McCain's favor. The reviews from objective individuals in the media were not pretty for McCain. I saw some examples that the Huffington Post compiled on its Web site. The New York Times reported delegates on the floor falling asleep. How about this from Talking Points Memo: Not a lot to say about McCain's speech but how on earth did they not avoid this: Prediction: There will be little to no bounce out of tonight; indeed, McCain's speech will smother Palin's sizzle like a wet blanket." Well said. I'll leave you with this from CNN's Jeffery Toobin: "I thought it was the worst speech by a nominee that I've heard since Jimmy Carter in 1980. I thought it was disorganized, themeless, I thought it was very, very boring until the end when he started talking about his personal story, which is, of course, remarkable and always important to hear. I personally cannot remember a single policy proposal that he made because they had nothing connecting them. I found it shockingly bad."
Huffington Post reactions to Sen. John McCain's RNC speech:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/04/john-mccain-speech-reacti_n_124115.html
No comments:
Post a Comment