Politics are, obviously, at play in this attempted appointment of Roland Burris to fill the United States Senate seat from Illinois vacated by President-elect Barack Obama. But, Obama and the other Democrats who are serving as an opposition force, are wrong on this one. As much as I feel that Rod Blagojevich should step down as governor of the state of Illinois (not because I am saying he is guilty, but because of the scandal he has brought to Illinois), I do think that legally it is wrong for anyone to oppose Roland Burris. I especially think it is wrong to oppose Burris simply because he was appointed by Blagojevich. That goes back to the ridiculous guilt-by-association politics Obama himself was victimized by throughout the presidential campaign (Jeremiah Wright, Tony Rezko, Michael Pfleger, etc.).
Here is a statement from Obama:
“They cannot accept an appointment made by a governor who is accused of selling this very Senate seat. I agree with their decision, and it is extremely disappointing that Governor Blagojevich has chosen to ignore it.”
Of course, politics are involved, but right is right and wrong is wrong. Barack, you’re wrong on this one (along with Harry Reid and the rest of the Democrats standing for the forces of opposition).
Huffington Post:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/12/31/angry-democrats-on-blagoj_n_154420.html
2 comments:
Illinois is full of bad politicians. Burris, while uncharismatic and full of himself, looks squeaky clean in comparison to most of them. Blagojevich is accused of wrongdoing, but hasn't been legally found guilty of anything yet. If they want to suspend the appointment of Burris, they will have to suspend the effect of all actions taken by Blagojevich since he was arrested on December 9. I don't know how we elected this inexperienced junior senator, Obama, as president of the U.S., but now that we have, it only re-inforces the requirement that everybody plays by the rules. That means they should seat Burris or hold a special election. No games or tricks from Harry Reid and company.
I have to admit. As much as I think that legally they should seat Burris ... this cat does have a bigger ego than I realized when I first heard about him. But, a big ego does not (should not) disqualify him from serving in the U.S. Senate once he gets his paperwork in order and people follow the Spike Lee movie model and "Do the Right Thing."
Post a Comment