Monday, December 8, 2008

World to O.J. ... We can't Do Nothing For Ya Man!


Over the weekend, I spent some time with a group of friends and the subject of O.J. Simpson came up after he was convicted of armed robbery, kidnapping and probably some other stuff, too. Unlike 14 or so years ago, when O.J. was on trial for the murders of his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ron Goldman, the media madness was at a minimum this time around. We’ve all overdosed on O.J. Simpson and few of us are able to muster much sympathy for the tragic figure he has become. I won’t spend a whole lot of time rehashing the ins and outs of his most recent trial (I will instead provide a link to some other news story or stories). But, I will say that it is probably a good thing that his stupid ass is back in jail for what looks like at least nine years … maybe longer. O.J.’s ego has swollen larger than that blimp of a head he has on his shoulders. And, apparently, his head is about as empty inside as a blimp or a hot-air balloon. O.J. had gotten away with so many things during his tragic life. He was living the high life down in Florida, but for about 14 years continued to find ways to rub his escape from murder convictions in the face of the Brown and Goldman families as well as so many millions of people around the world who thought him to be guilty. Even being found liable, civilly, did little to let some of the air out of his enormous ego. He did interviews, wrote books and more, not so subtlytaunting the Browns and the Goldmans as well as the police, the media and all people who thought him to be as guilty as sin. Simpson continued to do stupidthing after stupid thing until he found himself in a LasVegas courtroom having a book thrown at him by a judge who probably took some delight in letting the disgraced O.J. have it. I can shed no tears for Simpson. He was stupidand put himself in a position to be thrown in jail. Maybe he was truly set up this time and maybe he wasn’t, but the bottom line is he put himself in a stupid situation and finally ends up where so many people feel he has belonged for years. You wonder if he will find some way to weasel out of it, but this time I think luck (or whatever you want to call it) finally has run out on the Juice. Considering his mental state (personally, I think this cat is crazy) I think he is right where he needs to be … in jail.

No comments: