Monday, February 16, 2009

Happy Valentine’s Day? I Don’t Know

I appreciate the people who wished me a Happy Valentine’s Day. And, like the gentleman I try to be, I reciprocated to all those who wished me a Happy Valentine’s Day. But, the truth of the matter is simple: I can’t think of one Valentine’s Day I’ve had that has been an especially happy one. So, I do not fall into the category that Hallmark and other companies want so many people to fall into in regards to Valentine’s Day. Of course, I historically have been painfully “unlucky” in love and perhaps that is the genesis of my resistance to celebrating Valentine’s Day … or “Singles Awareness Day” as I’ve heard one person call it. Trust me, most of us who are single need very little awareness that we are single. Yet, Valentine’s Day is a yearly reminder of our single status as we are bombarded with the universal symbol of relationship happiness … the big red heart. I do not feel gripped by a sense of nausea at the sight of the big red heart, however, I do not feel overwhelmed by a sense of fulfillment either. Perhaps my time will come with happiness on Valentine’s Day. But, until that time, I will probably be your garden-variety Valentine’s Day player hater.

No comments: