Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I Am Not Buying The “Oh, The Athletics Dept. Brings In All Of This So Everything Is OK” Defense

One more thing about this whole press conference flap involving Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun. I found an article on Fan House that had the following excerpt:

While the University of Connecticut is a state-supported university, the athletic department is self-supporting. Much like many major Division I athletic departments. This means, that while Calhoun does have his salary approved by the trustees at UConn, the money does not come from the school or state funds.

Please stop trying to push the myth that athletics are something separate from the university as a whole. It perpetuates negative myths about athletics and about student-athletes being above the university as a whole. Let us, for the sake of discussion, accept the premise of the author’s argument as right on the money (it’s difficult to do, but I will try for the sake of discussion). The author seems to feel that the athletics department is pretty much self sufficient (in other words: not really getting assistance from the rest of the university or the state).

Some things for the author to ponder:
1. The athletics department is probably not paying rent for the use of the state’s facilities for games, practices, coaching offices, etc.
2. The athletics department is not paying its student-athletes.
3. Who pays for the police, sports information, staff, equipment, electricity, ushers and other forms of security at events?
4. Are attendees at an event parking on state-owned property? And, if so, is the athletics department paying rent for use of this parking area?
5. Is the athletics department paying the licensing fee to use the UConn logo and name?
6. Is the athletics department paying rent for summer camps that make money on state-owned property?
7. If the athletics department is self sufficient and doesn’t use state funds … then does that mean it is not bound by Title IX?
8. If the athletics department is self sufficient and Calhoun’s salary is not paid by the university (the state) then why would the board have to approve his contract?

I mean, I could go on and on. So, to make it seem as though the athletics department is completely self sufficient and essentially getting nothing from the university is ridiculous.

Fan House:
http://ncaabasketball.fanhouse.com/2009/02/21/jim-calhoun-gets-irritated-at-questions-over-his-salary/

No comments: