Friday, February 20, 2009

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, A Potential Presidential Candidate, Playing Politics

Gov. Bobby Jindal is a smart man and he is playing the game, and clearly playing it to win. Jindal is being pushed as a potential presidential candidate either in 2012 or 2016. Thus, he has to watch his moves closely as he tries to position himself correctly to be able to potentially run for the highest office in the land. Thus, to appeal to his conservative base, Jindal is apparently turning down a big chunk of stimulus package money. That is his choice, but I hope he is considering more than just his political aspirations in doing so … especially with a state still suffering the devastating effects of Hurricane Katrina.

Think Progress had these comments from New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin:

As New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin suggested earlier today, perhaps Jindal’s presidential ambitions are “clouding” his judgement. “I think he’s been tapped as the up-and-coming Republican to petition a run for president the next time it goes around. So he has a certain vernacular, and a certain way he needs to talk right now,” Nagin said.
We will see if the strategy pays off for Jindal in the end. Personally, I kind of like Jindal, but I hope he is thinking this thing through and not taking his advice from Michael Steele or other high-ranking Republican officials who might be grooming him to run against Obama or to run in 2016.

Think Progress:
http://thinkprogress.org/2009/02/20/jindal-unemployed/

No comments: