Normally, professional athletes tend to turn and run screaming in the opposite direction from anything that might require them to take a political stand. It was refreshing to hear some interesting words from one NBA star, Tyson Chandler of the New Orleans Hornets. Chandler was speaking about the issue of taxes and, more specifically, tax breaks that help the middle class. Here is what Chandler wrote: “The way I look at it is that I can afford to pay more in taxes. But my parents, my grandparents, my cousins … with what they make, they can’t afford to cut back in their household with what they’re trying to survive with. I can afford to make cuts and still survive. They can’t take that knock.” Indeed, to whom much is given much is expected. All people work hard, but some people are blessed with a little more good fortune than others (it doesn’t necessarily mean that they’ve worked harder). There are people with advanced college degrees who go into small communities to live and to work not because they’re getting rich, but rather because something inside of them pushes them to give something back to a particular community - perhaps a place where they grew up. Added Chandler: “I think that’s what’s going on now and the reason why the middle class is struggling so much. The upper class, we can take that hit. Obviously, nobody wants to take it, but we still can. And we can afford to live nice lives.” These taxes are not going to in any way, shape or form hamper the lavish lifestyles or big salaries of the rich people who control a disproportionate share of the nation’s wealth while working-class people have to tighten their belts and make tough decisions about health care co-pays, what utility bill will go past due, what groceries can be cut back on, what clothes can be ought for children, how do we put gas in the car and so on. This tax break will not hurt multi-millionaires like right-wing commentators Sean Hannity and Bill O’Reilly who complain about (tax cuts for the middle class), but are living large. It will not impact the small business owners as long as they are just that - small business owners. Small business owners are part of the backbone of the country and Sen. Barack Obama’s tax plans recognize that and do not penalize individuals who are small business owners trying to make a go of it and trying to take care of their employees. Chandler, like a lot of these NBA stars who did not necessarily come from rich financial backgrounds, understands what middle-class tax cuts can mean to working-class families who have been hit hardest during the last seven-plus years of President George W. Bush’s economy. Said Chandler: “I’ve lived in both situations. And not only that, I’m obviously the only one in my family that can say that I’m a millionaire. I’ve seen my entire family struggle. So, would I rather see my whole family struggle while I get a break, or have me not get a break while the rest of my family gets one? I’ll take my entire family getting a break.”
Chandler’s blog:
http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5700022375http://www.blackvoices.com/blogs/2008/10/13/hornets-tyson-chandler-waxes-poetic-on-tax-breaks-for-middle-cl/
No comments:
Post a Comment