Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Should Sen. John McCain Bring Up Bill Ayers, Here Is How I would Respond

"John, I know that you and many people in your party continue to cling to your concerns about the relationship that I've had with Bill Ayers. But, this is not a topic that is important to the American people ... nor is it a topic that is going to do anything to improve the lives of people in this country who are seeing us involved in wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, people who are losing their homes to foreclosure, people who are seeing their 401Ks damaged, people who are struggling to make ends meet and people feeling the impact of the most serious financial crisis since the Great Depression. What we need to focus on, John, is an effort to find ways to do things that are going to make a positive impact on the lives of the people in this country who are struggling to pay their bills and burdened by high health care costs or no health care at all. These are the problems that we need to be focused on. But, I do understand that presidents need to be able to balance a number of different issues at one time. I also recognize that there is a need to be fundamentally fair in our approach. Now, John, if you want to discuss my associations then I think we should be fair and put all of OUR associations on the table and let the people make their decision. Now, I have not been in the media questioning your associations with Charles Keating, John Hagee, Rod Parsley or G. Gordon Liddy. I would prefer to stick to the issues important to middle-class Americans who are feeling the pinch of this economy. Now, John, I will put this to you. Do you want to talk about meaningless associations that will not improve the lives of the American people, or do you want to join me, roll up our sleeves, and get to work rebuilding this economy and bringing a responsible end to the wars we're engaged in? Senator, it's your call."

No comments: