Monday, October 13, 2008

Sen. John McCain Creates Another Self-Inflicted Wound

Sen. John McCain has not always done the best job of helping himself during this current campaign for president of the United States. Sen. McCain has spent so much time talking about his vast experience and how the nation can not afford a president who might need on-the-job training. But, if Sen. McCain is correct, then doesn’t he in fact damage his own credentials to become the next president of the United States of America. Here is a comment from Sen. McCain caught by Think Progress, “We cannot spend the next four years as we have spent much of the last eight, waiting for our luck to change. The hour is late. Our troubles are getting worse. Our enemies watch.” Indeed. But, Sen. McCain himself has some holes in his resume (some would say craters) with regard to the economy. It was Sen. McCain himself who questioned his own grasp of the economy and what it will take to turn the negative tide back into a positive.
Here are some quotes pulled out by Think Progress:
– “I’m going to be honest: I know a lot less about economics than I do about military and foreign policy issues. I still need to be educated.” [Wall Street Journal, 11/26/05]
– “The issue of economics is not something I’ve understood as well as I should…I’ve got Greenspan’s book.” [Boston Globe, 12/18/07]
– “In the interest of full disclosure, I didn’t pay nearly the attention to those issues in the past…I was probably a ’supply-sider’ based on the fact that I really didn’t jump into the issue.” [The New Republic, 1/31/00
So, how ready is Sen. McCain to lead us in these challenging economic times when he is so out of touch with the economic hardships so many in our country are enduring?
Does the economy have time to wait for a president who admits he “needs to be educated” on the economy?

Think Progress:
http://thinkprogress.org/2008/10/13/mccain-study-economy/

No comments: